Crowley Maritime Corporation is a U.S.-owned and operated marine solutions, transportation and logistics company providing services in domestic and international markets. Crowley is a complex organization made up of six business units with approximately 6,000 employees. It operates in over seven countries for over two billion dollars in annual revenue.
In the Spring of 2015, Crowley recognized that its acquisition, technology transformation and business transformation strategies would involve a lot of change. Further, leadership recognized that the organization’s bias towards immediate action, while important in achieving company goals, made change even more difficult. They resolved to invest in making change happen more easily and quickly throughout the organization.
“Prosci has been a critical partner for Crowley as we build our internal change management competence. We invited Prosci to meet with our Sr Leaders to help us realize the benefits of effectively managing the people side of change within our most critical business initiatives.
"They have been instrumental in supporting our efforts to build a full enterprise change capability: including structure, training, tools, and advisory services support. Most importantly, they have helped us set a strategy and roadmap that we can use for years to come."
- Suz Michel, VP Organizational Development and Change
To build enterprise change agility that would enable large-scale change to happen more quickly and effectively throughout the organization.
Adopt the Prosci change management methodology through an organizational license
Stand up a change management team
Create a Change Leadership Strategic Roadmap
Conduct a company-wide awareness campaign about change management to build overall capability
Lead change management efforts on strategic, high-impact, high-risk projects
Provide project-specific training to those impacted by these strategic initiatives
Keys to Application
The Change Leadership (CL) department used a variety of creative and intentional campaigns to build an awareness and understanding of change management throughout the organization. These campaigns and activities included:
- A video distributed on the organization’s internal social media platform that featured senior leaders holding up signs to explain the letters in the ADKAR Model
- A “change leadership by the numbers” postcard delivered to all employees’ desks, visually and humorously highlighting key information about Crowley’s change leadership initiative and basic change management research data from Prosci
- A series of micro-learning webinars on basic or intermediate change management topics made available monthly to all interested employees
- A Change Gallery Open House exhibit to show all senior leaders and members of IT participating in change projects what change management deliverables look like
Just one year into their aggressive four-year plan for implementing an organizational change capability, the Crowley leadership and CL team had exceeded expectations on their progress. Having established a baseline change management maturity score of 1.8 in 2015 based on Prosci’s five-point Change Management Maturity Audit scale, they had targeted an improvement to 2.1 as the goal in 2016. They exceeded this target in every capability area measured, ending the year with a change management maturity score of 3.0.
Read the Full Story
Learn how the Crowley change leadership team selected four projects to initially apply change management to, and discover more of the results they have seen, when you download the full story as a PDF.