Here at Prosci, customers and consultants often ask for references or articles to help them make the case for change management based on research data and studies by various organizations. Here are some key references that should be at your finger tips:
1. Helping Employees Embrace Change. This article provides a chart illustrating the correlation of effective change management to total value recovered based on a study with 40 projects.
2. Why CEOs Get Fired. This article presents the findings from interviews with 286 organizations who fired their CEO, listing the top-five reasons for this action. The number one reason was mismanaging change.
3. Best Practices in Change Management Report. This report provides charts showing the correlation between change management and 1) meeting project objectives and 2) staying on schedule and 3) staying on budget; based on study results with nearly 100 project teams.
4. Creating Organizational Transformations. This study presents the findings from interviews with 3,199 executives involved in major transformations, and summarizes the key lessons learned to achieve successful change. Of the top-five lessons learned, four relate directly to effective change management.
5. Success Rates for Different Types of Organizational Change. A literature review of studies on the success rates of various types of organizational change including Strategy Deployment, Restructuring and Downsizing, Technology Change and Mergers and Acquisitions. Shows that a majority of change efforts do not meet their objectives.
6. Making Change Work. Results from a study with over 1500 practitioners on what makes change work and strategies for improving project outcomes.